Weirdoes Update

From: Nigel Hurneyman (NHurneyman@softwar1.demon.co.uk)
Date: Wed Apr 30 1997 - 04:33:09 PDT

Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 10:33:09 +-100
From: Nigel Hurneyman <NHurneyman@softwar1.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Weirdoes Update

The plants grown from gemmae from my cristate Drosera pygmaea have
all turned out normal so far.

I detached my unusual Drosera capensis flower and put it in some moist
compost. Initially it was very happy - the carnivorous glands on the inside
of the 'sepals' started secreting lots of mucilage and even trapped some
small creepy-crawlies. However the flower did not develop a growing
point and eventually the sepals died leading to the death of the whole flower.
I have grown Drosera capensis successfully from adventitious plantlets on
the flower stalk, but when the flower has sex-organs perhaps it is lacking
an apical meristem.

Good growing, Nigel