re: Sarracenia leucophylla

From: martin zevenbergen (Martin.Zevenbergen@ALGEM.PT.WAU.NL)
Date: Mon Apr 28 1997 - 01:18:06 PDT

Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 09:18:06 +0100 (MET)
From: martin zevenbergen <Martin.Zevenbergen@ALGEM.PT.WAU.NL>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: Sarracenia leucophylla

>Dear cp-ers,
>
>My Sarracenia leucophylla was sending up some new leaves after its winter
>dormancy period. The leaves seemed to be developping in some nice pitchers,
>but to my dismay te tops of the pitchers became wringled and had some brown
>spots.
>Does anyone know what may be the cause?
>The plant is standing in a south-facing window in a medium of
>peat/sphagnum/sand, and standing in a tray filled with one cm of rainwater.

It seems that your pitchers became a little sunburnt. The sun can be very
strong in this time of year (as it was last week and the week before in the
Netherlands), so the air humidity behind glass can drop too low for just
emerging pitchers. The solution is to keep the humidity higher or (maybe
easier) to protect the plants for the strongest sun .

Best regards,

Martin Zevenbergen