More CP at Home Depot

From: Paul V. McCullough (pvmcull@voicenet.com)
Date: Sun Apr 27 1997 - 20:24:22 PDT

Date: Sun, 27 Apr 1997 23:24:22 -0400
From: "Paul V. McCullough" <pvmcull@voicenet.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: More CP at Home Depot

  Wow, Home Depot is really making my hobby a lot easier to do! I just
picked up a drosera rotundifolia (I think... the individual plants are
tiny but tightly clustered) and yet another Ping. This ping is not the
same family as my world famous "Mutt" ping... and it's also not labeled
other then saying its a butterwort (At least its not labelled VFT!)
Okay, this one's leaves are real small... about an inch long. They look
almost exactly like wooden tongue depressors (well, green slimy ones).
This new one, I'll call "Poly" (short for polyglut) Ping. There's a
tight cluster of these butterworts, and growing at the side of the cup
is what looks like another of the Mutt Pings.
  For those concerned as to the source of these Home Depot CP, these new
plants had a label on the shipping box- the company is called TPC, Inc
(PO Box 456, NY, NY 10956) and only grows and ships tissue cultured CP!
Displayed VERY boldly were the words, "No plants taken from the
wild!"... I thought this was a VERY good omen as to whether these plants
were legit. There was also one s. purpurea that had one truely healthy
looking pitcher on it- I didn't buy that one. Again, all of their CP
offerings are just $2.93. Truely nice to see our favorite plants
getting recognition. Now if they would just start labeling them with
their latin names...
  One note, I do plan to buy CP from some of those vendors listed on the
net, too. (Don't worry!) I don't work for Home Depot, but evidently a
CP lover is somewhere near the top. I want that kind of person there
always! Maybe some of the CP nurseries should see if they can establish
some links to other (responsible) chain stores. It could only be very
lucrative. The CP at Home Depot are almost always sold out. The
instructions in today's plants were clear and concise to the plants'
needs, too, btw.
  My d.adelae continues to bloom- these star-shaped flowers are really
intriguing in their simplicity. The new d. rotundifolia also have tiny
scapes rising.

Cheers,
Paul

--