Aldrovanda and Algae

From: Pnsamm@aol.com
Date: Fri Apr 25 1997 - 15:06:09 PDT

Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 18:06:09 -0400 (EDT)
From: Pnsamm@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Aldrovanda and Algae

Hello fellow enthusiasts,

I have two questions concerning Aldrovanda to send out. I am growing
Aldrovanda in strong light on a windowsill and the plants seem to thrive and
that's great. However, the downside of strong light is the growth of algae.
 Does anyone know of a product that would kill or inhibit the algae but not
harm the Aldrovanda? My second question relative to Aldrovanda concerns
dormancy requirments. I understand that Aldrovanda can grow in nature the
year round given the proper mild climate, while in more temperate areas
Aldrovanda forms a winter bud. My plant is from Japan, a temperate climate.
 Given this, would my particular plant adjust to a more tropical existence
and year round growth? Or would a plant originally from Japan die if made to
grow without winter dormancy? I would appreciate the information if anyone
has it. Moreover, if anyone is in the know here, I think answers to
questions of this sort might be generally appreciated in the upcoming
Aldrovanda issue of The Carnivorous Plant Newsletter. Just an idea.

Thanks and good growing,
Peter