re: vermiculite, perlite

From: andreas.wistuba@rhein-neckar.de
Date: Thu Apr 24 1997 - 11:15:44 PDT

Date: Thu, 24 Apr 1997 18:15:44 +0000
From: andreas.wistuba@rhein-neckar.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: vermiculite, perlite

On 24 Apr 97 at 8:55, Niels Asger Nielsen wrote:

> After having read all your insightful comments on the subject (thanks) I
> tend to think that the stuff I use for drainage, leca, is expanded clay as
> suggested by Wim. In Denmark "Leca" is blended into a lot of the more
> expensive potting mediums for ordinary houseplants.
> One last question on the subject: Can "leca" be used as a substitute for
> perlite or vermiculite in a cp soil mix or only in the bottom of pots to
> avoid standing water as suggested by Wim? I haven't seen perlite for sale
> in Denmark.

Lecaton (as it is called in Germany (clay = Ton) is excellent in
substrates for Nepenthes and Heliamphora. Meanwhile I use:

1:1:1 Lecaton : peat : fine grain styrofoam

I use the 3mm Lecaton beads

Bye,

Andreas
Andreas Wistuba; Mudauer Ring 227; 68259 Mannheim; Germany
Phone: +49-621-705471 / +49-621-7152027
Fax: +49-621-7152028
E-Mail: andreas.wistuba@rhein-neckar.de
WWW: http://www.rhein-neckar.de/~carnivor/index.html