Re: D. adelae roots

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Wed Apr 23 1997 - 16:39:00 PDT

Date:    Wed, 23 Apr 97 19:39 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: D. adelae roots

> From: Paul Burkhardt <burkhard@ARIES.SCS.UIUC.EDU>
>
> I had previously posted about my D. adelae sending out surface growing
> roots and after reading some other posts on cultivation I believe I can
> account for this odd 'behavior'.

I don't know if it is so odd... I have seen D.schizandra do this
too as well as Nepenthes without the benefit of too wet soil.
When I was growing D.adelae, I didn't know anywhere near as much
as I do now, and never even bothered to note things like this; so I
don't know if they would do it in normal condition as well.

About the Neps: The roots weren't coming right off the stem and
going along the soil. Instead, they would travel through the soil
and when they hit into the walls of their terrarium, start growing
up the sides in the condensation. BTW, I can't really see much
difference between the way D.schizandra and Nepenthes roots look.
They are both black and stringy with white tips. The Drosera's
roots are just a bit thicker (or fluffier?), but the Nepenthes
roots are stronger, but not by much. Weird, huh?

Dave Evans