RE: VFT declining

From: Semanchuk, Phil J (pjs20347@glaxowellcome.com)
Date: Wed Apr 23 1997 - 08:01:16 PDT

Date: Wed, 23 Apr 1997 11:01:16 -0400
From: "Semanchuk, Phil J" <pjs20347@glaxowellcome.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: VFT declining

> I was bequeathed a vft from an ex flat mate which
> seemed to be almost dead when I got it. It recovered
> and has been going strong for years.
<snip!>
> Unfortunately, it seems to be having difficulties
> after the last burst of flowering.
<snip!>
> it seems to
> me it could be a number of things such as:
>
> - going dormant for winter
> - exhausted from flowering
> - toxin build-up - I've been giving it tap water for years
> (only just found out about using
> distilled)
> - it may need repotting as it has virtually filled the
> current pot
> - or a combination of the above.

The symptoms you describe (new growth dies w/o forming traps) does not
sound like dormancy. Your guess of tap water poisoning is not a bad one.
Peat also breaks down after a few years. I would repot your plant in a
nice deep pot (VFTs like to have lots of vertical room for their roots)
in fresh peat mixed 1:1 with clean sand. While you're at it, take a look
at the rhizome & roots to see that they're free of pests.

Hope this helps,
Phil
URL du jour: http://www.mindspring.com/~bchayes/mshame.htm