Mutant S. minors, etc.

From: L235@aol.com
Date: Mon Apr 21 1997 - 11:16:34 PDT

Date: Mon, 21 Apr 1997 14:16:34 -0400 (EDT)
From: L235@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Mutant S. minors, etc.

Just returned from a trip to what is believed to be
the southernmost remaining stand of S. minor, in
Okeechobee County, Florida, USA. (The site was
described in an issue of CPN last year, I believe.)

It was a fascinating trip for several reasons:

The stand is fantastic. Even after three months
of semi-drought conditions, there are more than
1,000 clumps of plants in active (albeit somewhat
slow) growth. Variability in coloration was quite notable,
with a very red form that I had not seen before, either
in cultivation or in the wild.

Even more interesting was the environment. The
site is a 10-acre cow pasture that is close-cropped
and very heavily manured. The soil looks and feels
like good garden loam -- yet the plants seem quite
healthy. I took a small sample of soil and am planning
on some simple Ph tests. If anyone can do more sophisticated
measurements that might yield some additional information,
I'd be happy to send a portion for further study. Perhaps
we can just grow all of our plants (or S. minor at least) in potting soil?

This site is also known for flower mutants. six- and twelve-
petaled flowers are known from past years here, and I found
and photographed a six-petaled flower currently in bloom.
Any thoughts as to whether or not this trait is likely to
be a consistently-manifesting one? or an occasional and random
"freak" of nature?

The site is currently for sale ... any thoughts on how
to get The Nature Conservancy turned on to a piece of property?

(or can this be the first parcel the newly-non-profit ICPS
purchases .... just a thought.)

Jay Lechtman (L235@aol.com)