Re: fungus

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Fri Apr 18 1997 - 14:08:00 PDT

Date:    Fri, 18 Apr 97 17:08 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: fungus

> From: Mars <mars@HACOM.NL>
>
> Now that I got rid of those little black creatures crawling on my plants =
> I've got another problem, fungus! The sarracenia and drosera binata have =
> that white furry kind of fungus just above the soil. The sarracenia and =
> vft also have some brown spots, I guess that's fungus too. Is this a =
> sign I'm keeping the terrarium too moist? How can I fight the fungus?

Well, you could open the lid some to let fresh air in. I don't
think your white furry stuff is just fungus. If you look into it,
you'll probably find mealy bugs. Also, "brown spots" is a little
too vage. It could be damage from or be other bugs, besides fungus.
The mealies are very easy to get rid of, just change something about
your condition and that will probably be enough. If not, you can
make the soil very, very wet for a couple days and that should kill
them (Don't keep the soil in a terrarium super-wet for long, else
you'll stagnate the water and peat.). Take a closer look (a magnifying
glass may help) at the VFTs and that should help to ID the brown spots.

Dave Evans