Cepahlotus and D. adelea

From: Oliver T Massey CFS (massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 18 1997 - 13:01:39 PDT

Date: Fri, 18 Apr 1997 16:01:39 -0400 (EDT)
From: Oliver T Massey CFS <massey@hal.fmhi.usf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Cepahlotus and D. adelea

> I had haphazard luck with D. adelae until I stuck them in an aquarium under
> fluorescent lights.
> Here's my set-up,

> 5. Avoid setting the pots in water. D. adalae does not like soppy
> conditions.

> Cephs seem prone to root rot (from my experience), and I never let
>my plants stand in water; I only water from the top and only when
>necessary. I gage the compost by lifting the pot or observation. I
>lost 3 Cephs before I got it right! Unfortunately, most of the CP books
>instruct one to let the plant stand in water.

The inevitable differences in successful methods always surprise me. For both
of these plants I have had far more success in standing water.

For Cephs, I have a number of plants that I deflasked from TC and have grown in
live sphagnum in shallow standing water. They are gaining size very slowly
under lights, but the few I have experimented with using less water have done
poorly.

As for D. adelae, I have the red flowered variety. It too grows in standing
water. Whats worth mentioning however, is that after the orignal plants that
were several years old succumbed to a caterpillar 6+ months ago, a steady
stream of new plants have continued to emerge from the underwater roots that
ran out into the watering tray. These roots have even climbed up the drainage
holes into ajoining pots and taken over. I still have the plant, its just now
growing all over the bottom of the tray and in the pots adjoining its original
location.

c'est la vie!

Tom in Fl