RE: Help my Sarracenia flower

From: Mellard, David (dam7@ATSDHA1.EM.CDC.GOV)
Date: Wed Apr 16 1997 - 14:47:00 PDT

Date: Wed, 16 Apr 97 16:47:00 EST
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@ATSDHA1.EM.CDC.GOV>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Help my Sarracenia flower

Hi Eric,

This has never happened to me. I assume you want to pollinate it? If so,
gently bend the flower over until the pollen can fall down onto the umbrella
part of the flower. You may have to shake the flower a bit once it's in the
right postion. This will dislodge the pollen and allow it to fall on the
base of the umbrella part of the flower. You can gently lift up a petal and
now see the pollen on the umbrella. Use a brush to collect some of the
pollen and gently brush the stigma, which is a small projection on the
inside of each point of the umbrella part part of the flower. There are
four of five points. I've read that you only have to brush one point, but I
brush several just to be sure. When the flower is in the right postion, the
petals will fall down between the points of the umbrella.

I hope this is clear enough.

good luck,
David