Re: Death of a Drosera

From: Rand Nicholson (writserv@nbnet.nb.ca)
Date: Mon Apr 14 1997 - 10:05:12 PDT

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 18:05:12 +0100
From: Rand Nicholson <writserv@nbnet.nb.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Death of a Drosera

>At 02:21 AM 4/12/97 -0700, you wrote:
>>CPers:
>>
>>While dusting my bookshelves, the cleaning lady (accidently, I am sure)
>>sprayed my seven year old, very large (12 cm stem), prolificly blooming
>>(four blooming racemes), D. capensis with a product called "Endust", in
>>common here in Canada and the US.
>>
>>The capensis promptly shriveled and died overnight.
>>
>Are you REALLY sure it's dead??? ;-) Did you give it a chance to come
>back from the roots?

Asked and answered, with procedure discriptions, previously, to Chris
Teichreb:
Yes, to both questions. However, John, I think that the stem, under the
medium level, is still alive and, knowing D. capensis fairly well, it could
eaisly sprout again from the base. As if I need it. I can't imagine
_anyone_ on this List _paying_ for a D. capensis.

>I think these things are the botanical equivalent to the masked killer in
>the "Halloween" movies. No matter how someone tries to kill him, he just
>gets back up. ;-)

>John H. Phillips III

Heh. I hear that the lab types are somehow grinding up D. capensis (and
others) and spreading the mash on nutrient agar in flasks: so to grow more
plants. _Why_ would anyone want to do this with capensis? It does so well
on its own.

Kind Regards,

Rand

Rand Nicholson <writserv@nbnet.nb.ca>