Re: Drosophyllum

From: Glenn Rankin (rankin@saiph.hpl.hp.com)
Date: Mon Apr 14 1997 - 09:33:13 PDT

Date: Mon, 14 Apr 1997 9:33:13 PDT
From: Glenn Rankin <rankin@saiph.hpl.hp.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Drosophyllum

Hi Gabriel,

It should be on the dry side, otherwise the root(s) will rot (at least
according to everything I've read and my own experience). In the wild
it grows in a fairly dry habitat.

I grow mine outside in full sun where the humidity is generally low
(San Francisco bay area). I have had reasonable success growing this
species and it seems to like it when the top of the soil is dry and a
cm or two down it is dark from the moisture. If the glistening of
water is visible in this zone, then things are too wet. Of course,
seedlings don't have roots that long, so you have to find the right
balance between keeping them too wet (small seedlings seem to be a bit
more tolerant of moisture) and drying them out.

When they are larger (10-20cm) you can carry out a procedure that
allows the plant(s) to tell you how much water they need. Slowly cut
back on the watering till you notice drooping of the leaves. Then
regularly water a bit more than that. If you catch the droop within a
day or two, the plant(s) should recover (they always have for me).

One last thing. Don't get the crown of the plant wet when it is warm
(>10-15C). This species is very susceptible to fungus.

Good luck,

Glenn