Re: Ibicella lutea

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Fri Apr 11 1997 - 20:39:22 PDT

Date:          Fri, 11 Apr 1997 20:39:22
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: Ibicella lutea

Dear Wim,

> This is the description of the plant that grew from the "Ibicella lutea"
> seeds that were given to me (by someone else) : (sorry, I am not
> familiar with the correct English botanical expressions)
> - it's an annual plant, sown during february in compost, they die soon
> after a few frosty nights

=> Plantae

> - it's a symmetric grower (1 - 2 - 4 - 8 - 16 - ... branches)
> - the whole plant is covered with greasy glands (like Pinguicula,
> but larger)

=> Dicotyledoneae

> - the flowers are yellow, they appear in groups
> - the seedpod is covered with a green outer layer like that of a walnut.
> This outer layer is also covered with greasy glands
> - the seedpod is woodlike and has the form of a glass teardrop with a
> sharp hook at the end.

=> Martyniaceae

You need to know
1: the nature of the calyx: Are the calyx lobes free
to the base (_Ibicella_) or are they connate for more than 1/2 of
their length except for a longitudinal slit along the lower side
(_Proboscidea_)?
2: The nature of the projections of the mature fruit: Are they
conical (_Ibicella_) or irregular/branched (_Proboscidea_)?
3: The extent of the dehiscence of the fruit: Does it open for its
whole length (some _Proboscideae_) or at the most for half its length
(_Ibicella_)?

Kind regards
Jan

PS: A series of pictures of what might be _Ibicella lutea_ (at
least the free sepals are +/- visible in one picture) is present on
the cp page.