Re: Mimosa pudica update

From: Kenneth B. Cusson (kbcusson@juno.com)
Date: Wed Apr 09 1997 - 22:55:36 PDT

Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 22:55:36 -0700
From: kbcusson@juno.com (Kenneth B. Cusson)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Mimosa pudica update

Chris,

I have seen this plant growing wild in Florida & in Hawaii (in
Kealikikua, just outside of Kona, on the Big Island). In both cases it
was growing like a weed ... literally. The "bushes" I saw were growing
along the roadside. They were about 30-60cm tall, and they protected
themselves not only by the leaf movement, making it look like nothing but
twigs when foresting animals came by, but also some very nasty thorns all
over the plants (got a few nasty pokes after unsuccessfully trying to get
some seeds)..

A couple of years ago I found a couple of Mimosas at a local nursery -
each was about 18-20cm tall. I put them in a sunny window in the bathroom
(higher humidity) and kept them in about 2-5cm of water all the time.
They flourished and finally died off at about 36-40cm tall and hundreds
of purple flower-puffs. The kids preferred playing with them over the VFT
(thank goodness)!

Good luck with yours (if you get any seed from yours, let me know)!

Ken Cusson