Re: pest?

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Thu Apr 10 1997 - 13:48:00 PDT

Date:    Thu, 10 Apr 97 16:48 EDT
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: pest?

Hi Mars,

> From: Mars <mars@HACOM.NL>
>
> I've noticed these very small black insects crawling on my plants. They =
> are really hard to see, look like some sand on the leaves, but they =
> move. I think it's some kind of mite. They seem to prefer my vft and =
> sarracenia. Can they hurt my plants? How can I safely remove them? =
> Manually is almost impossible because they're so small, although it =
> seems it's not a great number of them.
> Marcel

I think they could be hurting the plants. If they were flesh eaters,
what would they be eating? You could take your VFT, pot and all,
outside far away from plants you don't want spider-mites on, and
put them in a bucket filled with water and let them stay underwater
over night. They can also be killed with a moderately strong soap
solution to kill within a couple mintutes. Wash it off the plant
and soil after about 5 minutes. Both of these methods don't really
harm the eggs, so you should repeat it a couple times. Say, three
times in 2.5 weeks.

DAve Evans

P.S. Orthene is safe for these two plants also.