bog info

From: sleeper@gil.com.au
Date: Thu Apr 10 1997 - 08:11:20 PDT

Date: Thu, 10 Apr 1997 08:11:20
From: sleeper@gil.com.au
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: bog info

Hello list participients, my name is steve and at the moment i have a small
tabletop arrangement. apprix. 18'' diameter. it is full sun for approx 5
hours a day but i have a few problems that i hipe you can advise me on what
is going wrong. i have notised the water temp raises in midday to decidely
warm during noonish and most of the moisture ir elevated by the heat.
the sphagnum has the occasional green leaf but the rest is light brown and
soft and the plants (vft, sarras and numereouse droseras.) leave a little
to be desired as in vigerous health and growth, in fact the only one that
shows any degree of primise is the sarra. alata.
there is no humidity cover over the pot, but i live in a perfect climate to
grow
all of these.
the shape of the pot is like a large salad bowl.IE about a foot in the
middle, sloping up to 18'' diameter.
i use rainwater for watering.

i am thinking of digging a small bog in the garden in an area that gets sun
for about 8 hrs. a day in summer and 4 in winter (slightey shaded).
i plan to make it approx. 6` x 6` and 18'' deep, terracing it for less
water prone droseras and vft`s.

what i would like some advice on it that my diagnosis of my existing pot is
essentially correct and helpful hints on building a succesful bog to suit
my criteria.
i live a couple of miles from the coast in brisbane and the climate
averages from 8`c to20`c in winter to 18` c to 34` c in summer and we have
mainly warm summer rains(sometimes severe). the bog would be in a sheltered
area near a 6` paling fence.

i hope this is enough info to help you.
please reply, as i am new at bogs but am not happy with the bowls performance.

thanks heaps for any help in advance.

steve from AUSTRALIA (KNOWN QUOCALLY AS OZ) :-)
ozsteve