Ibicella lutea

From: Wim Leys (leyswi@lin.vlaanderen.be)
Date: Tue Apr 08 1997 - 09:55:11 PDT

Date: Tue, 08 Apr 1997 09:55:11 -0700
From: Wim Leys <leyswi@lin.vlaanderen.be>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Ibicella lutea

Last weekend I met a CP-enthousiast who has become obsessed with
Ibicella lutea. He has grown this plant successfully for two years.

I met his dad too, he said his son was no longer allowed to use the
family's greenhouse to grow Ibicella lutea, last year a plant that grew
in there (in the ground, not in a pot) measured 4.5 m diameter !!!,
there was no place left to grow anything else. (My biggest plant last
year measured 80 cm diameter, it was grown in a 50 cm diameter pot).

A few of the things he told me :
- the seedpods can kill sheep and even cows
- the seeds are edible (first remove the black outer shell)
- the seeds are fatty and can be used to protect your lips
- he wants to investigate whether Ibicella lutea
        - is a true carnivorous plant or not (I thought it is not)
        - enhances the decay process of the killed animal

It was a long time since I met someone who was so enthousiastic about
something.

Now he looks for any information regarding this plant as he is in his
last year and he wants to make his script about it. He has already
written a part of his script (22 MB ! including photographs). I think
any scientific project involving the is-it-or-is-it-not a CP question
and the decay/absorption of the prey will also be very much appreciated.

His only access to the Web is through a cyber-caf\351. If you have any
information about this plant can you send it to me ? I'll pass it on to
him.

Thanks

Wim

BTW Michael (Subject: Looking for the following), can you give me your
address, I'll send you the Ibicella lutea seeds I've left. Sorry, can't
help you with your other requests.

--
Wim Leys, Belgium
mailto:leyswi@lin.vlaanderen.be