Re: living sphagnum moss

From: John H. Phillips III (phillips@library.ucsf.edu)
Date: Wed Apr 02 1997 - 17:23:08 PST

Date: Thu, 03 Apr 1997 09:23:08 +0800
From: "John H. Phillips III" <phillips@library.ucsf.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: living sphagnum moss

At 09:11 AM 4/3/97 -0800, you wrote:
>Where does one acquire the"living" variety? I purchase bagged sphagnum for
>orchids that appreciate a moisture-rententive medium, but have never noticed
>any growth in the sphagnum itself, even though it's constantly moist.
>
>Regards,
>Susan

Hi Susan, I've found that after awhile some of the moss comes out of
dormancy or starts growing from spores. If you give it a nice humid
atmosphere, bright light but little or no direct sun, you should be rewarded
with some live moss soon. The faster way is to find a generous sphagnum
doner ;-).
Happy growing,
John H. Phillips III e-mail:phillips@library.ucsf.edu
Interlibrary Loan Rm 202