N. (species?)

From: Robert Hood (CP-MAN@msn.com)
Date: Wed Apr 02 1997 - 13:48:08 PST

Date: Wed, 2 Apr 97 21:48:08 UT
From: "Robert Hood" <CP-MAN@msn.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: N. (species?)

Hi,sometime last week or so,I saw a posting on the digest of someone who
purchased a Nepenthes at Home Depot in Allentown,Pennsyllvania , so when I
visited my relatives over Easter I went to the Home Depot in Allentown and
there was one cp left and it was a Nepenthes.I bought it for exactly $3.11
(includind tax) and have absolutely no idea what species it is.When I bought
it it just had tendrills with forming pitchers , so when the pitchers form I
might be able to determine.When I bought it , it was on a shelf with a dome
(plastic cup) over it and had a sign in front of it which said "Venus Flytraps
$2.98". A Nepenthes looks nothing like a Venus Flytrap!It has 2 1/2 to three
in. long leaves and are about an inch thick.It looked pretty healthy.Then I
decided to take a look at the other plants they had and on display (not for
sale) was a Venus Flytrap in a terrarium that was almost entirely sealed up
and there was a bunch of other plants in with it (not carnivores).They were
all growing in the same medium " REGULAR POTING SOIL"! And I mean real potting
soil,you know the plack dirt with perlite.This VFT was thriving in there and
seemed very healthy.It had a flower stalk and some nice and big traps.Well
anyways,on my way home from PA to VA today (Wednesday) I fell a sleep in the
car (I was not the driver , if I had been I would not be writing to you people
now because I would have crashed since it was on I 95) and when I woke up the
Nepenthes I was holding had it's plastic cup off and was upside down and the
plant had fallen out and went onto the seat and there was soli all over the
place and I was so angry that I had let this happen to my.I hope it's ok and
comes back to life.And by the way,I got more response to the Nepenthes cutting
add I placed then I thought and have no more left to sell or trade at the
moment.I just wanted to let you know so that you don't waste your time
e-mailing me.

                        Sincerely,
                         Robert Hood

P.S. The Nepenthes I took most of my cuttings from has a new shoot coming up
(it is a pretty big Nepenthes) and I was wondering if I should let the shoot
stay in with the original plant or detach it?Any advice would be great.