Re: CP observation

From: Carl Mazur (cherryhillcp@freenet.hamilton.on.ca)
Date: Tue Apr 01 1997 - 22:41:11 PST

Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 22:41:11 -0800
From: "Carl Mazur" <cherryhillcp@freenet.hamilton.on.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: CP observation

All,

Just to add my thoughts. It is definitely not cold that kills Sarracenia
but rather, as pointed out, freeze drying. I've frozen every imaginable
Sarr to -18C for a day or two with no ill effects. Infact I think it is
beneficial, as it seems to promote flowering! Anyways.... I left a
Sarracenia purpurea ssp purpurea, the hardiest Sarr in existance in a pot
one winter, exposed to the cold winter air with no protection and indeed it
died!! As far as I'm concerned the only reason that other species of Sarrs
didn't make it into more northern climes, is due to natural distribution
process, not hardiness. They are all very hardy plants. Rubra jonesii ,
oreophila grow naturally in USDA zone 6. Thats the same zone I live in here
in Southern Ontario!

Best Regards,

Carl J.Mazur
Cherryhill Carnivorous Plants