N.alata story

From: Chris Teichreb (teichrch@MEENA.CC.UREGINA.CA)
Date: Mon Mar 31 1997 - 11:33:21 PST

Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 13:33:21 -0600 (CST)
From: Chris Teichreb <teichrch@MEENA.CC.UREGINA.CA>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: N.alata story

Hi all,

        Just wanted to convey to you the history of my Nepenthes
alata plant, just to show how much abuse they can tolerate, and
still grow and pitcher!

        I received my cuttings last year around the end of April
(thanks Rand!) and dipped all four in rooting hormone + fungicide.
I placed these in small, clear containers filled with water and
placed these in a 2 gallon aquarium with a plastic lidf to keep
humidity high. I then left for B.C. for a month to get married.
The cuttings were left on the kitchen table, no attention paid
to light levels, temps, etc. just a hope and a prayer!

        I arrived back near the end of May. By this time, two
of the cuttings had produced shoots and small roots. The other
two were black and covered in fungus. It was amazing that this
didn't spread to the other two cuttings. I potted up the cuttings
in a bark, perlite, peat (which has long since been washed out)
mix and placed them in a terrarium. Only one of the cuttings
survived, I don't know why the other one died.

        Eventually, I determined that the one plant wasn't getting
enough light, so I moved it into the university greenhouse. Here
it was subjected to watering with hard water, fertilization, and low
humidity. I had almost given up on it, especially when my other plants
died of neglect due to unforseen personal circumstances. However,
the little cutting grew new leaves, but no pitchers.

        Once I was back on my feet, so to speak, I started paying
more attention to the cutting. I moved it into a five gallon pail
(which it is quickly outgrowing!) and covered it with a large, clear
plastic bag. About three months ago, one leaf finally produced
a pitcher. This pitcher finally started opening up this weekend,
and there are two more leaves with quickly forming new pitchers.

        This just shows that this plant can survive an incredible
amount of abuse and neglect, yet still come back and reward you with
beautiful pitchers. One last note, the plant was constantly bombarded
by fungus gnats, but still grew, so I didn't bother with any insecticide.
Today, when I took the bag off, the usual flock of escaping adults
gnats was not there. I suspect that the pitcher has been doing
it's job! This is one plant I'll always treasure!

Regards,

Chris Teichreb
Department of Biology
University of Regina