re: racism

From: L235@aol.com
Date: Mon Mar 31 1997 - 06:31:40 PST

Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 09:31:40 -0500 (EST)
From: L235@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: racism

I know this is quickly entering the realm of deceased animal
abuse (beating a dead horse), but as a member of a much-oppressed
minority myself, I gotta say something:

I know Tom .. I even LIKE Tom (don't tell anybody, ok?) And
I've heard him use the unfortunate term in question and
I understood the context in which it was placed.

However, I can't help but be personally uncomfortable
with its use. As others have pointed out,
despite its "race neutral" usage in this case,
it has strong historically racial connotations.

Substitute the word "Jew" in the same context and
I'd punch him. Or anyone. Hard.

I'm not expecting to change the world, but I too
would prefer a race-neutral term of derision.

How 'bout a**hole?

Or would that offend members of the
colonically-challenged community?

Jay