Newbie...Intro

From: Dean Jones (mojoman@sat.net)
Date: Fri Mar 28 1997 - 07:41:39 PST

Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 09:41:39 -0600
From: Dean Jones <mojoman@sat.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Newbie...Intro

Hello all...I just joined this group and wanted to introduce myself. My name
is Dean Jones, I am 40 yrs old and have always been interested in CP,
particularly
VFT, Sundew, & Purple Pitcher. I am a novice at this & have never been able
to successfully grow or propagate CP mainly because of the lack of
resources that were available to me in the "pre-Internet" days. Up until
now, I had only found VFT & other CP in large hardware & grocery stores
that would stock them as novelty items in the Spring. These would always
die after a short time, but I would buy these things every year ever since
I was about 12 years old. I am just now learning all the basic necessities
of CP after stumbling onto several excellent websites devoted to CP and I
am looking forward to being involved with this group. I'm sure I will have
a lot of initial "dumb" questions for you as I am not near as experienced
at CP as you people are--but I DO want to learn! So forgive me of my
initial ignorance.
My first question regards the climate & area I live in. I live in Carthage,
TX which is deep East Texas--approximately 30 miles west of the Shreveport,
LA border. The climate is rather hot & humid in the summer with mild
winters. We may have reached 15 degrees only about three nights this past
winter. Summer temperatures climb to around 100+ occasionally, but usually
in the 90's is the norm. Is this climate conducive to raising CP such as
VFT, Sundew, and Purple Pitcher Plants? What other CP (if any) would be
acceptable for this area I live in? Should I grow these in a terrarium? I
saw plans on building one on a website and was wondering if this is the
best way for a novice to get started i.e. in a terrarium? Thanks for any
help. Looking forward to being involved in this group!
D. Jones mojoman@sat.net