Light gardening book

From: Chris Teichreb (teichrch@MEENA.CC.UREGINA.CA)
Date: Thu Mar 27 1997 - 14:20:13 PST

Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 16:20:13 -0600 (CST)
From: Chris Teichreb <teichrch@MEENA.CC.UREGINA.CA>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Light gardening book

Hi all,

        I just can't let this subject die ;-).

        I picked up a book from the library the other day on
light gardening. It's one of those Time-Life books, I think
the title was 'Gardening Under Lights' or something like that.
This is a great book for anyone who wants to begin in indoor
cultivation. It gives direct comparisons between incandescent
and fluorescent bulbs in terms of various energy consumption
and outputs, the difference in lumens with and without a reflector,
the difference in lumens when setting fluorescent fixtures different
distances apart, an even easier method to calculate lumen output
using your camera, etc. This is a great book for beginner
inside light gardener's, like myself. It even gives simple
designs for a terrarium set-up. I'd recommend it for anyone
who wants to learn the basics, but not be swamped with all the
jargon currently floating around.

        And no, I wasn't paid to say the above ;-)

Regards,

Chris Teichreb
Department of Biology
University of Regina