Re: propagating D. filif. tracii

From: BREWER__CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
Date: Thu Mar 27 1997 - 07:55:49 PST

Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 10:55:49 -0500
From: BREWER__CHARLES@ecomail.damneck.navy.mil
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: propagating D. filif. tracii

I've been growing D. filiformis filiformis and D. filiformis tracii for
a while. The filif*2 are doing fine, but I have only one tracii left as
nearly all the gemmae of tracii rotted this spring (too cold during
winter ?).

I would like to take a few backups of my last plant, before it vanishes.
I've been sowing filif*2 and propagating it with leaf parts
successfully. But when I try to do the same with tracii, it always
fails.

Can anyone tell me how to (vegetatively) propagate D. filiformis tracii
? What might have gone wrong that all the gemmae rotted this spring ? I
lost only a few filif*2.
 I have had great luck using a 10 gallon aquarium in propagating these plants
and other plants as well. I take one inch cuttings and place them on top of live
sphagnum moss, which is growing inside this aquarium. I cover the top of the
aquarium with a glass cover and set it in a very bright area. I then monitor the
aquarium every day for the first two weeks (water, light, diseases, etc.),
making any adjustments that may be required. I usually don't use any fungicide
on my cuttings. I find that the live sphagnum seems to provide all the
protection I need, but occasionally, you may find that you have invited a fungus
inside the growing chamber by bringing in new cuttings. At this time, you may
need to take quick action. After all is going well, I check the cuttings usually
weekly. Usually within a very short time, I have little plants growing
everywhere. I feel my success is having several propagating chambers already set
up and working and all I need to do is add new cuttings. My success rate seems
to be about 90%. If you follow these steps, more then likely, you to will be
successful with what ever you try to propagate. Hope this helps.
                        Charles Brewer
                       Virginia Beach, Va
                             USA

Wim Leys, Belgium