Re: Bog question

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Wed Mar 26 1997 - 16:48:00 PST

Date:    Wed, 26 Mar 97 19:48 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Bog question

> From: "Sarver.Cindy V3I" <sarver.cindy@SSDGWY.MDC.COM>
>
> I've *finally* gotten moved into my new house, and am planning to plant a bog
> by the front door to handle the miscellaneous creatures that delight in flying
> into my house.
> I live in Southern California. The weather rarely gets below 50F in the
> winter, and stays warm in the summer (infrequently above 90F, but usually in the
> 70-80F range). It is quite dry.
> Any suggestions as to what to plant? I have plenty of room, so size isn't a
> problem.

Hi Cindy,

    I envy you. There is just about no genus of CP you couldn't
plant. (Drosophyllum comes to mind as something that wouldn't do.)
I'm stuck with only growing CP from N. America and a couple Pings
from Europe outdoors year around. You could plant ALL* the N. American
CP, all the South African CP, a great number of Austrailian (sp?) CP
(even D.peltata might not rot, but most other tuberous D. would),
all S. American CP - are you getting the picture? You might even
get away with N.mirablis, though the dry air might fry pitcher growth
once the plant starts getting off the ground. Sarracenia are a lot
tougher than most people give them credit for and can handle drier
air. Most other plants would stay closer to the soil, and the
humidity.

* all plants that grow in bogs or that could be made to. Aquatics
wouldn't work, of course. Unless you make a really BIG bog.

    Also, you'll want to plant some Sphagnum, it helps keep the
peat fresh and will help create a mirco climate with higher
humidity. You'll have to weed it though =--> it's so invasive
that it will cover up seedling, Drosera, Pinguicula, and any other
low plants. It's fine around adult Sarracenia though. The excess
Sphagnum is useful though, you can could use to line the bottom
of pot the keep the soil from running out and it wicks water great.
Or dry it out and use it to make Nepenthes and other soils.
   Very Northern plants like most hardy Pings and some Drosera
will to be pulled up after forming winter buds and 'stratified'
in the fridge, but that's no problem and a whole bunch of them
would fit in a smaller Tupperware container.

Dave Evans

Condom plants? Well there is the rubber tree. ;)