Re: =Water=

From: Perry Malouf (pmalouf@access.digex.net)
Date: Wed Mar 26 1997 - 04:53:33 PST

Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 07:53:33 -0500 (EST)
From: Perry Malouf <pmalouf@access.digex.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: =Water=

Kevin O'Connell asked:

> Where do you get large amounts of fresh water for CP?
> ...Should I have my tap-water tested for minerals?

Before you consider water sources other than your tap, have
your tap water tested for minerals. Wouldn't it be nice
if your tap water sufficed? It would be a lot cheaper,
and more convenient.

If your tap water does not suffice then you have a few
unit so you can purify your tap water, 3) collect rain.

In the long run, for a large cp collection, the second
option is more cost effective than the first. I obtained an
RO unit from a company in Florida for around $150, and it is
rated at 25 gallons per day--higher than what I need it for.

> ...I should let the water sit to let the chlorine evaporate, but
> for how long?

Chlorine is easy. Just let the water sit in a large pot in
the open air for a few hours. The length of time will depend
on the quantity of water, and how much of its surface is in
contact with the air. To be really safe, overnight is long
enough for 5 gallons in a large cooking pot.

The dissolved minerals are more difficult to get rid of, and
that's why reverse osmosis is used.

> The only other thing I could think of is to try to catch
> rain water, but I would worry that it might contain a lot of pollution.

Do you live down wind of Chernobyl? :-)

Rain water should be fine for cps. The pollution may be in the
form of acid rain, but most cps are happier in an acidic soil. So
there shouldn't be a problem with acid rain. Be careful about
how you collect it, though. You don't want to get accumulated
dirt from your roof mixed with the water. In a downpour, it's
a good idea to wait until the roof has been washed with rain for
a while before beginning to collect the water.

I myself don't collect rainwater, so you'd be better served by
someone with more experience in the matter.

Regards,

Perry Malouf