Re: D anglica/Pea Gravel

From: Lumraptor (lumraptr@indy.net)
Date: Tue Mar 25 1997 - 16:19:24 PST

Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 19:19:24 -0500 (EST)
From: Lumraptor <lumraptr@indy.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: D anglica/Pea Gravel

On Tue, 25 Mar 1997, Nigel Hurneyman wrote:

> Dear Kevin,
>
> I find D anglica an easy subject in a temperate climate if given a hard time
> in winter. Last year we had a warm spell very early, and my D rotundifolias
> and D intermedias started putting leaves out whereas my D anglicas stayed
> dormant - I even feared I might have lost them. Suddenly we had a fortnight
> of hard frosts - the D rotundifolias and D intermedias were almost wiped
> out, but about a month later a profusion of D anglicas became apparent.

   What part of the UK are you in? Scotland would seem to be the coldest
part of the UK and where most D.Anglica would grow. It really does seem
to be a cold weather plant.

> Seed is a good way to propagate D anglica, but requires patience. It is not
> uncommon for seed of hardy Droseras to take more than one winter before
> germination.

   Should the seeds be spread on the growing medium in the fall and allowed
to expirience winter that way till spring?

  Do you use sphagnum or peat? I read one hypothesis that D.Anglica might
like stlightly alkaline soil.

-Kevin O'Connell

  "Life is light that shines in the Darkness"

       Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind