Re: D. hybrida again

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Mon Mar 24 1997 - 18:34:00 PST

Date:    Mon, 24 Mar 97 21:34 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: D. hybrida again

> From: Bruce R Salmon <brucesal@VOYAGER.CO.NZ>
>
> After having a good look around the swamp yesterday, I think it may be
> possible that these plants are a hybrid between D. filiformis ssp.
> filiformis and D. capensis.
> Next spring I'll try to cross them in my greenhouse to see what happens.

Hi Bruce,

    Do you guys have any D.capensis growing and flowering along
with these plants (D.fili.)? Did you add any peatmoss to the
swamp to make it CP friendly? I've seen "weeds" come up in CP
soils before and turn out to be species of Drosera native to
where the peatmoss came from. Something that looks a like a cross
between D.fili. and D.cape. could really be be D.linearis, or
D.anglica. Do your D.fili. and D.cape. even flower at the same
time? Mine don't, it makes me think that someone would have to
go out of their way to try and hybridize them, but then I don't
have a greenhouse or live in NZ... The hybrid might be possible
though, I'm just checking up on other possiblities.

Dave Evans