Re: New member follow up...

From: Paul V. McCullough (pvmcull@voicenet.com)
Date: Sun Mar 23 1997 - 00:01:38 PST

Date: Sun, 23 Mar 1997 03:01:38 -0500
From: "Paul V. McCullough" <pvmcull@voicenet.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: New member follow up...

Hi Dave,

> I really liked your intro, BTW.

Thank you... it was all true. Only the names have been changed. :)

> Not quite (I'm still working on that one ;), that's why I
> have to place chicken wire around anything larger than an adult
> Sarracenia.

You mean chicken wire keeps squirrels out? I doubt it would keep the
ones we get out... unless it was electrified. Hey! (Hmmm... nah.)

> > Anyone else use a Klima-Gro?
>
> No, I haven't and after seeing one, realized that alot of CP's
> the unit doesn't have enough lighting.

Actually, that strikes me as odd... the model I'm getting is supposed to
supply extremely high amounts of lighting. I'll use the f/stop method
(when the Klima Gro arrives...) and test its output. I know the tall
boxes seemed feeble, but the lighting in the "small" unit I got was the
brightest I've ever seen.

> as well as others here and there. Also, you can add on more lighting
> and it should be fairly easy. Or place the unit infront of a window
> which gets morning sun, or all day if it won't heat up the unit too
> much.

Not possible really. The only morning Sun we get is in the dining room
(which would be very cramped) and the master bedroom (which I would
never be able to talk my wife into!) The room it'll be placed in is
west or more west-northwest and only gets Sun in the late afternoon to
sunset in the Summer. I'll probably resist adding lighting since it
would take away from the visual appeal of the Klima-gro itself. But
I'll keep it in mind.

> I would not bother planting any adult upright/trumpet pitcher
> Sarracenia indoors, period. They just need too much light but
> the shorter S.purp. and S.psitt. can handle weaker lighting and
> still grow well. All other plants sound like they could do good.

Those are probably the plants I'll stick with... I may still try an S.
minor and an S. rubra- assuming the lighting question pans out. I've
ruled out s. leuco and s. flava as they really want a lot of height.

> > I've also got D. Adelae on my alternatives list, although this
> > drosera evidently can become gigantic...
>
> And the problem is? ;) Seriously, that would be one the the best
> choices for a terrarium using low (for CP) light. That and D.pro-
> lifera and D.schizandra and P.primulflora (sp?) like shade. There
> are others, but I can't think of them right this second.

Actually, I purchased drosera adelae at Home Depot a week ago. Its
doing fine in a little makeshift terrarium right now. (Along with a ping
that I think is a longifolia- it was mislabeled... and a VFT) On close
inspection, the d.adelae is actually three plants and the ping is one
major with two babes and a flower scape rising. I doubt the flower
scape will succeed since I began transplanting it before I noticed the
shoot.

Thank you for your advice/comments, Dave- I really appreciate the help.

Cheers,
Paul