Re: Outdoor Bogs/Copyrights

From: Paul V. McCullough (pvmcull@voicenet.com)
Date: Fri Mar 21 1997 - 22:14:04 PST

Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 01:14:04 -0500
From: "Paul V. McCullough" <pvmcull@voicenet.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Outdoor Bogs/Copyrights

Okay, the running opinion on my original "Sarracenia questions" topic
seems to boil down to this: on s. leucophylla- give it a shot in the
terrarium, and if it doesn't work there, move them outside. Now, since
my wife thinks the s. leuco's that we saw at Longwood are real beautiful
(and they are) I'm also thinking of waiting till early summer, and
starting an outside "artificial" bog in some corner of my yard. I'll
have to figure out a squirrel/kid proof method of protecting them, but
it may be fun and probably better for the plants. (Note: so far, I
haven't bought any plants other then a D. Adelae, a mutt Ping., and 3
vfts... awaiting the terrarium before making any real choices!)
  I understand that these "bogs" usually consist of a water basin of
some type and the plants actually planted in pots that sit in this basin
so as to be able to make them mobile for winterizing. But where do you
winterize them? I live in NJ; the summers are EXTREMELY humid, and the
winters, while mild this year, can be extremely icy. For instance, s.
leuco can't withstand frosts, so I imagine that it could be placed in my
garage. While the garage would be warmer (slightly) there would be no
light... same for my crawlspace. I imagine s. leuco (and all winterized
CP), even while dormant, always needs some light- right? Please forgive
my ignorance on this matter; I've never winterized any CPs in the past.
Most of my CP experience lies in the direction of plants native to NJ
climates (except VFT).
  On a completely different note: with all of this talk of copyright
infringement (Lotta net-lawyers out there, eh?) I have a question. I
took some pictures at Longwood Gardens of their CP collection and would
like to post them on my webpage. (Non-profit, naturally...) Now, here's
the question: would I be infringing on some copyright (of Longwood's) by
posting those pictures on my site? My wife works for a major law firm,
so I'll have her ask some of the attornies there (they love these kinds
of questions), but for now, I'd like to know what everyone here thinks.

Cheers,
Paul