Drosera key ?

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Thu Mar 20 1997 - 16:18:00 PST

Date:    Thu, 20 Mar 97 19:18 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Drosera key ?

Hi Jan & List,

    In the openning of your key, you mention that you are aware
of several short comings and unresloved problems... Could you
tell us what these are? I can't find any per se, with my limited
knowledge of Drosera. I can speculate, however. D.rotundifolia
(and D.anglica with it) might be misplaced in Sect. Drosera (or
the rest of plants in the section are misplaced???) since D.
rotundifolia's closest relatives are in Sect. Oosperma, or at
least all the plants it has been hybridized with are. Am I headed
in the right direction here?

    The only "error" I noticed was in the Sect. Ptycnostigma.
Wherein, only plants with ascending stems are supposed to have roots
thickened as storage organs. D.brevifolia (a flat rosette) also
has such roots (perhaps they don't look so in herbaria?) and it
grows exactly (well, maybe they don't flower in the same season...)
like D.cistiflora, the only other member of the section I've grown.
Right now, both are coming out of dormancy, and look the same:
tiny buds growing off of the roots within a mm. or so of where last
year's rosettes/stems were attached.
    It was rather amazing to see it! On one hand, I've got a plant
I removed from a road side ditch as an after thought, and on the
other, a plant all the way from South Africa (thank's Eric, it
wasn't dead after all!) growing in the exact same manner. Cool!!! :)

Dave Evans
NJ, USA