Re: Videogate

From: Nigel Hurneyman (NHurneyman@softwar1.demon.co.uk)
Date: Wed Mar 19 1997 - 05:42:12 PST

Date: Wed, 19 Mar 1997 13:42:12 -0000
From: Nigel Hurneyman <NHurneyman@softwar1.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Videogate

'Feel free to take a swipe at UK police" - tempting, I thought they were
just an incident logging service these days (Public Office for Logging
Incidents of Criminal Enactment).

I have a problem with a book I would love to buy because I need a copy
long-term for reference (botany, but not CPs). It is out of print and
unlikely to ever be reprinted (work is currently taking place on its
successor, which is expected to be a couple of years away at best). None
of the major second-hand book dealers have a copy for sale. I have a copy
via inter-library loan, but I can only keep it for a month at most before it
has to go back. What alternatives do I have other than photocopying it?

Two commonly sought books which for various reasons cannot be reprinted
are Adrian Slack's 'Insect Eating Plants And How To Grow Them', and Paul
Magriel's 'Backgammon' - I mention the latter because bootleg photocopies
reportedly sell for up to ?50.

If a law is universally flouted, isn't that a symptom of a bad law rather than
the end of civilisation?

Apologies for so much off-topic c**p, NigelH