Re: "Home Depot" CP

From: CMcdon0923@aol.com
Date: Fri Mar 14 1997 - 15:01:34 PST

Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 18:01:34 -0500 (EST)
From: CMcdon0923@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: "Home Depot" CP

<< A few days back, someone mentioned a plethora of CP available at his local
Home Depot store. Sounded like his local (Allentown?) had a great
assortment- Drosera, Sarracenia, Nepenthes and Dionea! So I rushed over to
my Home Depot after work to day, but alas, mine only had the VFTs. They were
in the typical red 3" pot with the clear plastic cup on top. While the Traps
were pretty big (and exceptionally red) the leaf supports (I know this isn't
the right term... forgive me) were very short. The prices were around $3 a
pop >>

Paul,

Yes, that Home Depot store is just outside of Allentown, PA. I went back the
other night for some items (we're getting ready to move, so we have some
fixing-up to do) and the "brand" they now had was also the red-potted
ones...all were VFTs. This is a different brand/company from the one that had
the various species. I also noticed the VFTs from this new source...HUGE
traps, some more than an inch (2.5 cm) along the "hinge". In addition, almost
3/4 of the plants had a flower stalk with still-tight buds on top. I bought
the two healthiest-looking plants with hopes of getting them to flower and
seed. I am going to try and find out from the store Manager who the source
was for the first batch which also contained the Drosera, Pings, and
Nepenthes (there were no Sarracenia). I'll post any information if it becomes
available.

FYI, I have also seen Dionea (only) from this first source sold at the
"Frank's" chain of garden centers. I believe Frank's is a national chain,
too.

Sincerely,

Craig