Venus Fly Traps at Home Depot

From: Paul V. McCullough (pvmcull@voicenet.com)
Date: Thu Mar 13 1997 - 21:46:17 PST

Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 00:46:17 -0500
From: "Paul V. McCullough" <pvmcull@voicenet.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Venus Fly Traps at Home Depot

A few days back, someone mentioned a plethora of CP available at his
local Home Depot store. Sounded like his local (Allentown?) had a great
assortment- Drosera, Sarracenia, Nepenthes and Dionea! So I rushed over
to my Home Depot after work to day, but alas, mine only had the VFTs.
They were in the typical red 3" pot with the clear plastic cup on top.
While the Traps were pretty big (and exceptionally red) the leaf
supports (I know this isn't the right term... forgive me) were very
short. The prices were around $3 a pop.
  I actually considered buying a couple for my Klima-Gro project until I
noticed that the instructions on the plant called for fertilizing twice
a summer! I always believed this to be a dangerous thing for VFTs (and
most CP for that matter), even in weak amounts. While I was willing to
look beyond that however, I wondered if the folks at Home Depot had
fertilized them along with all of the typical houseplants in their
greenhouse. I think I'll pass on purchasing any CPs with labels calling
for fertilizing until I can find out if this is okay or not. I know
transplanting the VFTs would help negate any damage from fertilizing,
but I really hate buying damaged goods in the first place.

Cheers,
Paul