Re: D. hybrida isn't sterile

From: dave evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Wed Mar 12 1997 - 16:14:00 PST

Date:    Wed, 12 Mar 97 19:14 EST
From: dave evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: D. hybrida isn't sterile

> A D. hybrida = (D. filliformis ssp. filliformis x D. intermedia) plant that
> I had a few years ago was split up and a piece or two given to a friend of
> mine. These pieces were planted in a large artificial swamp where he worked.
> Two years later we noticed 20 or so small plants scattered near the parents
> and also some distance away. They look exactly like the parent plants and
> there is nothing else they could be a hybrid with. We have not noticed any
> pollinators but we will have a good look next flowering season

Hi Bruce,

     I wouldn't get too excited just yet. My D.* hybida don't
make seed, but they have no trouble making sideshoots. I imagine
that could be spread by rain and frost heaving. Not to mention
animals.
    On other Drosera hybrid notes: D.dielsiana * D.sp. transvaal
does make seed, they are long and pointed on one end and rounded
at the other, but this was what I saw of the immature seed. When
I noticed how swollen the ovaries where, I had to open one to
see why... I can't believe how *fast* they grew as the D.capensis
which come up with them is still months from flowering. Seems
almost like an annual. Are either of the parents this fast? Was
this found in the wild or made in cultivation?
    Also, D.nitidula subsp. xxx * D.pulchella is making little
plantlets in the place of some of the flowers. Very neat looking!
And the first one has already lasted for over a month. I wish
I had the right photographic equipment to get a good pic or two.

Dave Evans