The Private Life of Plants

From: Chris Teichreb (teichrch@MEENA.CC.UREGINA.CA)
Date: Wed Mar 12 1997 - 07:02:46 PST

Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 09:02:46 -0600 (CST)
From: Chris Teichreb <teichrch@MEENA.CC.UREGINA.CA>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: The Private Life of Plants

Hi all,

        I just saw this show last night on the local educational
channel. It centered around a 'survival' theme, so of course
our beloved CP's were included. Actually, the only ones they
showed were the ones native to Mt. Roraima.

        There was a nice shot of D.montana var. roraimae with
it's rosette growing on top of huge stacks of previous seasons
rosettes. Beautiful red colour! Of course it had the standard
shot of it catching an insect and curling around it.

        Another spectacular shot was that of the time lapse
photography of U.humboldtii moving into another basin of
Brocchinia cordyinoides (I think) and catching mosquito larvae.

        The first shot of a CP though was a Heliamphora species.
I don't know which one though. Somebody interject here!

        Anyways, this showed me a lot more about these species
habitats. They obviously don't need a lot of light, considering
the mountain is continuosly covered over by clouds. They do
need a lot of humidity. It rains on this mountain almost every
day and has some of the longest waterfalls in the world. You
could basically see the air!

        Also, I'm wondering if people grow these species (the
Drosera and Heliamphora) in mainly a sand based soil? This
seems to be what the majority of any soil up there was made
of.

        Well, that's my review. A very interesting film, even
if you're not interested in CP's (gasp!).

Regards,

Chris Teichreb
Department of Biology
University of Regina