RE: Akai Ryu VFT observation

From: Mellard, David (dam7@ATSDHA1.EM.CDC.GOV)
Date: Tue Mar 11 1997 - 06:42:00 PST

Date: Tue, 11 Mar 97 09:42:00 EST
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@ATSDHA1.EM.CDC.GOV>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Akai Ryu VFT observation

> Mike Tarnowski asked the following

>Noticing new growth on my "Akai Ryu" VFT, The flower scape and developing
>inflorescence are both the same bright RED color as the new leaves. Has
>anyone else on the listserve observed this? I definitely intend to self
pollinate this >plant.

Hi Mike,

I, too, have three VFT Akai Ryu from the ABG. One I let go dormant and the
other two I tempted the gods and kept them growing under lights. The
tempt-the-gods VFT are now putting up multiple flower spikes (a good phrase
when one can't spell inflor......) and like yours, they are the Akai Ryu
red. One spike looks like it's close to opening and I, too, plan to
pollinate the flowers.

This will be my first time trying to pollinate VFT. I'm hoping it's
obvious what to do once the flowers are open.

David