Re: P. antarctica and P. villosa

From: Juerg Steiger (steiger@iae.unibe.ch)
Date: Mon Mar 10 1997 - 10:22:21 PST

Date: Mon, 10 Mar 1997 19:22:21 +0100
From: steiger@iae.unibe.ch (Juerg Steiger)
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: P. antarctica and P. villosa

Hello Oliver

>Is there anyone who grows Pinguicula antarctica or Pinguicula villosa and has
>some plants left for a trade?

P. villosa is really one of the most difficult Pings to grow for those not
living in (sub)arctic regions. Its ecologicaI tolerance is rather small. I
have some specimens and will send you seeds if I succeed to bring them
through the summer. Now I still have them in the fridge at -2C. Mid April I
will take them out and put them into my cooled greenhouse which is equipped
with two air conditioners to keep the temperature 5C below the temperature
outside. In central Europe 1C corresponds about to an altitude difference
of 300m. My home (near Bern, capital of Switzerland) is at 600m. The
greenhouse temperature is eqivalent to an altitude of approx. 2100m (600
plus 5x300m), which corresponds approx. to the sea level climate around the
arctic circle. The P. villosa sites on Vancouver Island (Canada) and in
North Corea are likely to be warmer but I do not have any material from
there.

Kind regads Juerg

Juerg Steiger , Institut fuer Aus-, Weiter- und Fortbildung IAWF
University of Bern, Inselspital 37a, CH-3010 Bern, Switzerland
Office: +41 31 632 9887 Fax: +41 31 632 9871