Re: D.Linearis, D.Anglica

From: Lumraptor (lumraptr@indy.net)
Date: Sun Mar 09 1997 - 20:25:36 PST

Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 23:25:36 -0500 (EST)
From: Lumraptor <lumraptr@indy.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: D.Linearis, D.Anglica

On Sun, 9 Mar 1997 cp@opus.hpl.hp.com wrote:

> ------------------------------
>
> Topic No. 3
>
> Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 22:19:34 -0800
> From: "Carl Mazur" <cherryhillcp@freenet.hamilton.on.ca>
> To: <cp@opus.hpl.hp.com>
> Subject: Re: New member
>
> Kevin,
> Both of these plants are hardy North american species, they certainly don't
> need a greenhouse. They'd be very happy on your balcony year round. They
> grow natively much more northern areas than Indianapolis :-)
>
> Of special interest to me
> > are two sundews I was never able to get plants of: D.Anglica and
> D.Linearis.
> > I guess I like the way these plants look. My dream is to someday have
> > greenhouse that I can devote to trying to grow these two species.
> >
> > Sincerely,
> Best Regards,
>
> Carl J.Mazur
> Cherryhill Carnivorous Plants
> Grimsby, ON Canada

  Carl,

   Noting that you live in an area that is surrounded by D.Anglica and
D.linearis, have you had success raising these two species? I have also
wondered if there was a difference in appearance between the north American
D.Anglica and the U.K. D.Anglica? The D.Anglica in Donald Schnell's book,
C.P. of The US and Canada looks more spread out whereas D.Anglica in Roger
Phillips, Wild Flowers of Britain looks more upright. I think they are two
different species! Donald Schnell pokes holes in the theory that D.Anglica
world wide is D.linearis x D.rotundifloia because of the lack of D.linearis
in other parts of the world. It seems that D.A.xD.R. is sterile.

-Kevin O'Connell

  "Life is light that shines in the Darkness"

       Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind