Sedge peat

From: James Tovee (106361.2125@compuserve.com)
Date: Sun Mar 09 1997 - 12:46:02 PST

Date: Sun, 9 Mar 1997 15:46:02 -0500
From: James Tovee <106361.2125@compuserve.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Sedge peat

        Adrian Slack recommends using only sphagnum peat and warns against
using any other peat. No book suggests the use of sedge peat. A friend had
two large ponds dug out and found the ground was mainly sedge peat. He
thought that it could be sold. An expert came and tested the pH and said it
was too acid and therefore useless. I believe the expert was thinking of
normal plant compost, because they would have to add too much lime to
balance the pH.
 Carnivorous plants need acid compost. Some people have discussed making an
acid tea to acidify the compost.
        Does anyone know why sedge peat should not be used in compost for
CPs ? I shall probably experiment with it anyway and pine needles to see
the effect of lower pH.
        Jim