Re: transplanted my VFT

From: Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
Date: Sat Mar 08 1997 - 12:55:50 PST

Date: Sat, 8 Mar 1997 21:55:50 +0100
From: Clarke Brunt <clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: transplanted my VFT

On 4 Mar 97 at 18:36, LEE FOSTER wrote:

> I just transplanted my VFT into a larger plastic pot. It's the first
> time I've transplanted it. I noticed the roots were not coming out of
> the outer most soil when I took it out of the pot...

If I tipped the soil ball out of a pot and found no roots visible
round the edge, then I guess I'd just put it straight back again to
grow some more, or else start dislodging the soil until I came to
some roots, so as to check on their condition and so as to replace
some of the soil with fresh. Just how much disturbance did this VFT
get when you transplanted it? If the old soil ball was disturbed
enough to snap a few roots, and traumatise the root hairs on the
others, then that could make it wilt until new roots and root hairs
form. A cover over it for a while to keep the huimidity up should
help. On the other hand, I'd really prefer to have seen those roots
when you were repotting - maybe there aren't any - maybe they are
rotting - in which case removing all dead roots and putting whatever
is left in a small pot, treating well, and hoping, may be advised.

--
Clarke Brunt (clarke@brunt.demon.co.uk)
http://www.brunt.demon.co.uk/ Seeds, Cacti in Mexico, etc.