District 10 Georgia Science Fair -PPM

From: Eric Cumbee (acumbee@surfsouth.com)
Date: Thu Mar 06 1997 - 16:17:30 PST

Date: Thu, 06 Mar 1997 19:17:30 -0500
From: Eric Cumbee <acumbee@surfsouth.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: District 10 Georgia Science Fair -PPM

Dear Everybody,
     I have some good news and bad news. I won a First Place Ribbon at
the District 10 Science Fair in Douglas, GA (USA) my project was "What
are the Effects of PPM on Carnivorous Plant Tissue Culture Media.
However since I am in the sixth grade, they do not allow you to go to
State Science Fair at the University of Georgia if you only win a blue
ribbon. I scored a 98 out of a hundred points with 2 points deducted
because of originality. I am kinda disappointed because I had a lot of
help from many of you and I feel like I let you down. My dad told me I
did my best and that is what counts.
    I really did want to go to the State Science Fair so I could talk to
someone at the University of GA Tissue Culture Lab about some other
things I could do to improve my project and tell them about how PPM
worked for me.(I never have really talked to any one in person that has
ever done tissue culture). I am going to continue TC as a hobby but I'm
wondering If the news about cloning sheep might have hurt my chances.
The sixth grade trophy went to a project about what is the best dog flea
shampoo to use (it was one my friends project so I am happy for her.
     I have turned my results into Mr. Marty Kalin at Plant Cell
Technology and you can contact him if you are interested.
     Thank all of you for your help. I guess that's it for this year.
Eric Cumbee
Ben Hill County Middle School
Fitzgerald, GA 31750

p.s. we are loaning our computer to a neighbor that has a big college
project that has to be finished by this weekend, so I will be away from
the e-mail until Monday. thanks