Question about Utricularia...

From: Jeffrey Shen (jjshen@unix.amherst.edu)
Date: Mon Mar 03 1997 - 21:48:38 PST

Date: Tue, 4 Mar 1997 00:48:38 -0500 (EST)
From: Jeffrey Shen <jjshen@unix.amherst.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Question about Utricularia...

Hello out there on the CP list!

I was just wondering if you guys could answer this question for me. I've
read that Utricularias (aka Bladderworts) were "waterwheel" type plants
which grow in lakes and ponds and whose traps are "boxtrap-like," feeding
off of aquatic insects. However, I further read that there are also
"terrestrial species" that do not grow in ponds. My question is: How
do these traps work? What do these plants feed on? Are they terrestrial
plants, but have their traps in some sort of body of water? Or are
they totally terrestrial based, and catch their insects on land?

Thanks for any info!

-Jeff Shen