Re: Cephalotus growing needs

From: PTemple001@aol.com
Date: Mon Mar 03 1997 - 17:28:24 PST

Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 20:28:24 -0500 (EST)
From: PTemple001@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Cephalotus growing needs

Neil

I find Cephalotus prefers a very open mix. So I add about 50% Perlite to the
peat/sand mix and I give it lots of light. I also find juvenile plants
(usually cuttings) take a while (a year, maybe two) to settle down before
they grow well. My plant in a clay pot grows better than those I have in
plastic pots but this is a piece of totally unscientific twaddle as the
plants are not the same clone. I have heard rumours that clay pots might be
preferred ("rumours", "might be", - how non-commital can I get?)

I'm no Cephalotus expert (I think I've made that abundantly clear to
everyone) so listen to anyone who completely contradicts me.

As to giants, I've not seen any but I did see (in the UK) an intensely purple
coloured form which may or may not be in circulation. Well worth growing,
but the "normal" ceph is a thing of beauty which I personally don't believe
would be improved by colour or size changes - but that's just me!.

Regards

Paul