Introduction

From: Lance Jerale (ljerale@valders.k12.wi.us)
Date: Mon Mar 03 1997 - 04:45:24 PST

Date: Mon, 03 Mar 1997 12:45:24 +0000
From: Lance Jerale <ljerale@valders.k12.wi.us>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Introduction

Hello-

I'm a new subscriber to this group and also relatively new to the internet
and e-mail. I've been teaching science to middle school students since
1968, and am lucky in that a large part of my work involves sharing my
interests with my students. Aviation, electrostatics, geology, astronomy,
epiphytic cacti, orchids, and, of course, cp have all kept students busy
through the years. My interest in cp started in childhood with VFT, then
Sarracenia, Drosera, aquatic Utricularias, etc. My classroom often has
"bogs" for students to study. A few years back I "discovered" Nepenthes,
and my botanical interests will never be the same. I am interested in
increasing my Nepenthes collection, and eagerly accept advice about
culture, sources, etc.
Re: Help...Nepenthes
Although some Nepenthes can tolerate small amounts of chemical
fertilizers with the only obvious negative results being reduced (or
absent) pitchers, some others seem very sensitive, and will react by
rapidly drying up- even in very moist surroundings. N. gracilis is one
species that seems very intolerant of chemicals. No doubt the fine root
systems of Nepenthes react badly to overdoses of "kindness". Natural
nutrition might be the best way to go-- and with many pet shops providing
live "bugs'' for lizard food, most cp'ers are in a position to feed cp as
nature intended.

Regards,

Lance

--
Lance Jerale																 414-775-9520 voice