Nepenthes nectar

From: Dreyseth@aol.com
Date: Thu Feb 27 1997 - 13:35:52 PST

Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 16:35:52 -0500 (EST)
From: Dreyseth@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes nectar

Chris Teichreb wrote:
<< This is a Nepenthes plant, right? Just making sure. If it's
 producing it all over the leaves, it sounds more like there's been
 some sort of damage to the leaves and it's exuding the 'sap'. If
 I were you, I'd check carefully for aphids. Could it also be water
 condensing on the leaves due to high humidity?

Thank you for the suggestions, but there is no damage to any of the leaf
surfaces; even the new leaves are producing surface nectar. This plant does
not have aphids, or any other infestation at this time. I am growing the
plant in an open top terrarium with several other cp. Water rapidly
evaporates out of this rather low humidity environment.

The "nectar all over the upper surface" seems to be produced in very small
amounts. I first noticed it after misting the plant with distilled water;
the water would evaporate and leave behind "pools" of a shiny substance,
which I have now found to be very sweet in tast.

After taking a closer look I can actually see very tiny fresh droplets on the
leaf surfaces, located more to the edges of the leaves. The evaporative
residue seems to be located closer to the edges as well. I do not see any
nectar along the central axis of the leaves.

The plant was unidentified when I purchased it several months ago, and is the
first Nepenthes in my collection. It is 3" tall. It's largest leaf is 4"
long, and has a single pitcher that is just starting to open today. I do not
see any nectar on the pitcher. The pitcher is red at the top, shifting to
green at the tendril. The leaves have a very-slightly redish hue along the
edges. The remaining leaves are not able to pitcher due to excessive dryness
of the tendrils that occured when I was out of town for a couple of weeks.
 It seems to be a rapid grower.

Regards,

Kerry Tyler
Minnesota, USA