Re: feeding Sarrs

From: Russell Elliott (relliott@geocities.com)
Date: Thu Feb 27 1997 - 22:03:15 PST

Date: Thu, 27 Feb 1997 22:03:15 -0800
From: Russell Elliott <relliott@geocities.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: feeding Sarrs

aquilla2@juno.com wrote:

> Postage paid by: [Image]

> To my thinking, these plants became carnivorous because they grow
> in nutrient poor soils. Even my smallest seedlings capture tiny insects.
> If your plants are growing, Why risk damaging them with a fertiliser
> that might not be dilute enough. When conditions are right and the
> plants are exposed to the out of doors they seem to take care of feeding
> themselves very well. Why mess up a good thing.
>
> Has any one had any experience with flower removal on VFT's
> I had heard that if you remove the flower scape early that the plants
> will triple themselves, turning one plant into three. Any comments?
>
> Michael Sankovich

Michael,

 I have found that removing the flower stalk on some clones of VFT enables
them to divide many times. The only problem with this is that the plant then
decreases in size until the next season and doesn't look so good. This doesn't
happen with all VFT's but if you have a particularly good one, and this
happens it can be rather annoying!

Bye for now,

Russell

--
! Russell Elliott, Seed Bank Director,                          !