How did Darlingtonia get here?

From: Gary (garko@sfsu.edu)
Date: Thu Feb 20 1997 - 22:18:28 PST

Date: Thu, 20 Feb 1997 22:18:28 -0800 (PST)
From: Gary <garko@sfsu.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: How did Darlingtonia get here?

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone know how Darlingtonia ended up in the northwest? I mean, the
distribution of Sarracenia seems somewhat logical, with isolated
populations evolving independently. But still, there seems to be some
overlap, with different species sharing the same environments. Were
Sarracenia environments more widely spread in prior ages, before
west coast uplift isolated proto-Darlingtonia populations? The reason I'm
asking is that I'm trying to nail down a topic for a biology course I'm
taking and was thinking about Darlingtonia, its habitat and geology.
There's just one thing that has me troubled, geologically speaking, the
east AND west coast are relatively new. Which came first? The habitat or
the species?

Gary